You may be thinking, “I’ll never forget that I have my child with me in the car.” Most deaths related to hot cars are not intentional. Parents who have had these accidents happen to them probably said the same thing before. It is human nature to forget things from time to time. And, it is better to be safe than sorry. It only takes forgetting your child one time for a fatal accident to happen. Afterall, your child is irreplaceable. A few states have even made it illegal to leave children in the car unattended.
On average, 37 children die from a heat stroke from being trapped in hot vehicles a year according to kidsandcars.org. We’ve put together a list of ways you can prevent accidentally forgetting about your child in the backseat.
- Leave your left shoe in the backseat.
- Place your cell phone, purse, bag, etc. in the backseat.
- Put the diaper bag in the front seat after putting your baby in their car seat.
- Talk to your child while driving to your destination.
- The BackSeat App
- Kars4Kids Safety App
- Car seat alarms, reminder key fobs, etc.
All of these tips and ideas remind you to check your backseat before leaving your car.
More backseat reminder technologies can be found at fatherly.com.